Nursing a Baby
Instructions for Nursing Your Baby
March 25, 2017 – 11:24 am
Nursing Baby To Sleep: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly | The Baby
Alliance for the Improvement of Maternity Services (AIMS)
Return to Home Page
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NURSING YOUR BABY
More and more women are becoming aware of the important advantages of breastfeeding to their babies and to themselves. Breastfeeding develops a special closeness between a mother and her baby that is beneficial to both. Your breast milk is the perfect food for your baby, ideally suited to his nutritional needs and bodily development. Breastfeeding benefits your baby by providing added protection against disease, infection, tooth decay and allergy.
The vast majority of women are physically capable of nursing their babies. Nature has seen to it that the production of mother's milk is closely related to the needs of the newborn infant. For the first few days of life a newborn baby sleeps much of the time and is content with the colostrum present in his mother's breasts. Colostrum is a yellowish fluid which is rich in protein and benefits the baby by giving him immediate protection against disease and infection. Colostrum also has a slight laxative effect and, in general, readies your baby's digestive tract for the milk he will be getting in a few days. During this period, it is normal for babies to lose weight. Usually it takes at least 10 days for a baby to regain his birth weight.
Your milk may come in gradually or suddenly. This may be accompanied by an uncomfortable fullness which will subside by itself. Whenever possible, this fullness can be relieved by letting the baby nurse between feedings for a minute or two or by expressing milk by hand.
Don't be discouraged from nursing your baby. Be patient, people sometimes try to talk you out of doing something they couldn't or wouldn't do. If they did not do well at breastfeeding, they probably did not follow advice.
The practical suggestions on the following pages will help you to succeed in the womanly art of breastfeeding and to make your nursing experience happy and rewarding.
NURSING IN THE HOSPITAL
Wash Your Hands Before You Breast-Feed Your Baby. This helps to protect your baby from infection. If your doctor advises, you will be provided with water and sterile cotton with which to rinse off your nipples before nursing.
Make Yourself Comfortable So You Will Be Relaxed. Hold your baby so his head is a little higher than his tummy, whether you nurse lying on your side or sitting up. If you sit up to nurse, it helps to put a pillow on your lap under your baby. If you want privacy, tell the nurse.
Vincent van Gogh drew and painted a series of works of his mistress Sien
during their time together in the Netherlands. In particular, his drawing Sorrow is widely acknowledged as a masterwork of draftsmanship, the culmination of a long and sometimes uncertain apprenticeship in learning his craft.
Commonly called Sien Hoornik, Clasina Maria...
You might also like
Nursing, feeding baby squirrel, wildlife rehabilitation ...
Nursing Baby Hands-Free in a Wrap - Front Cross Carry (FCC)
Premium Baby Nursing Cover, Trendy Infinity Nursing Scarf + FREE eBook! Breastfeed in Public Comfortably & Discretely! Perfect Baby Shower Gift! Grab Yours Now!
Baby Product (Samay & Co.)
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Made from the high quality breathable fabric, which is super soft, lightweight and won t rub, chafe or scratch your baby.
- STRENGTHEN BOND WITH BABY: Babies need our touch and they crave nothing more than skin-to-skin contact with mum in the early days of development. Stay close to your...
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Perfect fit for newborns, infants and toddlers. Designed to provide full coverage for you and your baby whilst nursing. Keeps your baby cosy and...
- STYLISH & MULTI-PURPOSE: Fashion accessory for your wardrobe and so versatile that you can use the nursing scarf as a cover-up for your car seat or stroller...
- THE PERFECT GIFT FOR EVERY NEW MOTHER: Limited time promotional offer! We believe in our product. That s why all Samay & Co. Nursing Covers are backed by our...
Mama&Me New Nursing Cover Bundle for Breastfeeding Baby, 100% Cotton, Free Storage Bag, Luxurious Washcloth & Ebook. Three Pockets for Baby Teether's, Toys or Diaper. Fully Adjustable Backstrap, Neckstrap and Large Size for Complete Coverage and Security. Breastfeed Outdoors or At Home Unnoticed and Relaxed. Use As a Nursing Apron, Poncho, Shawl or Blanket. Ideal Baby Shower Gift!
Baby Product (Mama&Me)
- 100% COTTON - Designed to be lightweight and breathable so mothers can carry it anywhere and babies can use it everywhere. Give you and your baby the confidence...
- RIGID NECKLINE - Allows you to have direct eye-contact with your precious baby and makes it easy to slide on and off with one hand so baby can be cuddled with the...
- ADJUSTABLE BACK AND NECKSTRAPS PLUS GENEROUSLY SIZED - 70x115 cm offers greater coverage than other brands. Never feel anxious about breastfeeding outdoors in public...
- TERRYCLOTH - On the underside of the nursing cover for an extra layer of super soft cotton cloth and 2 pocket storage for baby teethers, washcloth diapers or other...
- FREE Cotton Washcloth, Drawstring Storage bag and Top Tips Breastfeeding E-book. THE IDEAL GIFT For Every New Mother! Comes with Mama & Me s 365 Days 100% Money...
Monkey nursing its baby at Thirumoorthy Falls
Nursing a orphaned baby rhino
Intimom Nursing Cover, Baby Breastfeeding Cover, Wide Hooter Hider Made of the Highest Quality Fabric, 100% Breathable Cotton with Unique Design and a Complementary Pouch - with Lifetime Guarantee
Baby Product (Topalyz)
- STRESS RELIEF & SOCIALIZATION - As moms, we know what is best for our babies. The feeling of exposure when breastfeeding can be stressful, especially when socializing...
- MACHINE WASHABLE - Feed your little one in a restaurant and spilled food on your breastfeeding cover? No problem at all! The IntiMom Breastfeeding Cover is 100%...
- 100% LIFETIME GUARANTEED - Should you have any problem with the IntiMom Breastfeeding Cover, simply tell us and we will replace your product immediately. If you...
- 100% BREATHABLE FABRIC - With the IntiMom Breastfeeding Cover, you and your baby will feel cool both in temperature and in style. Our breastfeeding cover is made...
- SIMPLE & SMART - Need to feed your baby now? No problem! The IntiMom Breastfeeding Cover is extremely easy to use. It takes just seconds to put on the cover...
Baby Be Mine Maternity Nursing Nightgown - Sleeveless (Medium pre pregnancy 8-10, Nicole)
- A soft feel nightgown with elastic neckline for quick and easy breastfeeding so there is no fumbling for snaps or clips during night-time feedings
- Pull down elastic neckline allows for easy access for breastfeeding
- No clips or snaps! Great for night time feedings
- Matching Gownie, pillowcase and baby romper set available
- Machine washable, tumble dry low
Leachco Cuddle-U Nursing Pillow and More, Sage Pin Dot
Baby Product (Leachco)
- Velcro seat wrap and U-shaped support system hold wigglers securely in place and prevent sliding, while they lounge
- Proper positioning, while lounging and eating, may help enhance digestion and reduce reflux in infants
- Generously sized self adjusting nursing pillow for all-around comfort, perfect for C sections
- Easily adjusts to meet the needs of both newborns and growing infants, and transitions into a tummy-time support
- Seat wrap tucks away in concealed pocket when not needed, outer cover is not removable
- Generously-sized self-adjusting nursing pillow for all-around comfort, perfect for C-sections
- Easily adjusts to meet the needs of both newborns and growing infants, and transitions into a tummy-time support and sit-up support for older infants
What are the 7 rights for administering medication?
The 7 Rights for Administering Medication are : Right Dose,Right Drug, Right Client, Right Time, Right Reason, Right Route, Right Documentation. There are all very important things to remember. One small mistake could cost a life.
What is the most needed degree in the medical field right now other than nursing
The General Practice doctor is the most needed. Thank you for using